COVID-19 Emergency: Covid-19 cases are on the rise in Pakistan and across Asia. Teams continue to raise awareness about the virus, distribute masks and personal hygiene supplies, and offer tele-rehabilitation when Covid restrictions warrant it.
In Pakistan, Humanity & Inclusion continues to run programs under the operating name "Handicap International."
Humanity & Inclusion in Pakistan
Our teams have been present in Pakistan since the early 1980s to late the 1990s, addressing the needs of Afghans refugees. Today our mission has evolved to include issues that emerge from natural disasters.
Along with the country's persistent conflict with the bordering nations, Pakistan is regularly affected by natural disasters. In 2005, an earthquake displaced three million people, and in 2010 more than 20 million people were affected by severe flooding.
According to UNHCR, as of July 2017, Pakistan is home to nearly 1 million refugees and more than 449,000 internally displaced people (IDPs). Displaced populations include children, women, older people, and people with disabilities, who are often forced to live in deplorable sanitary conditions.
Areas of Intervention
- Integrated and inclusive health assistance to Afghan refugees and host communities
- Empowering women with disabilities
- Women-integrated sexual health
Knowing the gaps in service and needs in Pakistan and based on evaluation of more than 30 years delivering development projects in Pakistan, Humanity & Inclusion developed a 5-Year Country Program Framework in 2016. Our 31-person team is executing the program which integrates and incorporates inclusive approaches focusing on the following five pillars:
- Inclusive education that is accessible for children and young women with disabilities
- Health and prevention to effectively reduce risks and/or impact of disabilities
- Relief and Inclusive Disaster Risk Management
- Technical assistance to Pakistan Government and International Organizations, I/NGOs, Civil Society Organizations, to ensure inclusive programs and services
- Gender and women empowerment
Our Past Work
Humanity & Inclusion has been working in Pakistan to foster an inclusive culture and to meet the dynamic needs of communities where we serve.
Read on to learn more about our past work in Pakistan, and consider investing in our future.
Growing Together Project
From 2016 through 2020, the organization’s Growing Together project, supported by IKEA Foundation, developed accessible and secure play areas for children in refugee camps in Thailand, Bangladesh, and Pakistan.