Foundations and Grants Officer
The Foundations and Grants Officer, under the supervision of the U.S. Director of Institutional Funding, is responsible for managing the coordination and submission of proposals to foundations, including adherence to internal due diligence processes and procedures and donor requirements.
This position is focused on new business development and award management with private foundations, with a particular focus on larger, restricted funding opportunities. The position is expected to cultivate, track, capture and respond to funding opportunities by coordinating and submitting proposals for and manage grants from private foundations based in the U.S., and possibly U.S. Government donors, for the purpose of supporting HI's mission and projects. Proposals will be submitted in response to published funding announcements, but may also be submitted unsolicited to donors based upon interest expressed by them for common objectives.
People with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply!
Key Areas of Responsibility
The Foundations and Grant Officers will be responsible for the following:
Private Foundation Proposal Development:
- Stay up to date on opportunities available from U.S.-based private foundations for funding of international development and relief nonprofit projects;
- Identify, assess (for alignment with strategic and country priorities) and disseminate opportunities available from U.S.-based private foundations to fund existing or future HI projects;
- Work closely with HI technical staff who develop relationships with private foundation staff for potential project funding;
- Create, update and disseminate best practices and supportive guidance and tools in private foundation grantseeking;
- Vet any potential private foundation against HI's ethical screening principles;
- Coordinate and finalize the submission of all proposals to U.S.-based private foundations.
Private Foundation Grants Management
- Manage the portfolio of grants from private foundations ;
- Ensure compliance with applicable rules and regulations;
- Ensure timely and accurate programmatic and financial reporting;
- Follow process and procedures such as development of key internal contractual documents and propose new procedures as necessary for organizational efficiency;
- Undertake field visits to support field staff in U.S. private foundation cultivation, as needed and agreed upon with the regional divisions and the U.S. Director of Institutional Funding;
- Maintain complete and up-to-date project files – paper and electronic – for all projects under this position’s management;
- Follow up with other staff to ensure that project files are up to date.
- Contribute to knowledge management about foundation proposal writing and grants management throughout the HI Network, including staff from other national associations, HI headquarters and HI field offices.
Federal Grants Management (as needed and relevant)
- Track forthcoming U.S. Government grant opportunities for assigned donor bureau;
- Assess and disseminate opportunities internally;
- Coordinate submission of concept notes and grant applications;
- Manage secured grants in compliance with internal and donor rules and regulations;
- Coordinate submission of accurate and timely U.S. Government quarterly, annual and closeout grant reports
Carry out any other tasks as may be assigned by the U.S. Director of Institutional Funding and/or the U.S. Executive Director.
How to apply
- Please submit your application with the following subject line: “Foundations and Grants Officer”
- Please send a cover letter, resume/CV, and salary history as attachments to email@example.com
- Application deadline: ASAP
Humanity & Inclusion is happy to meet any reasonable accommodations that an applicant requires, at any stage of the process.
Salary commensurate with experience. Full benefits included
IMPORTANT NOTE: Applicants who lack existing permission to work in the U.S. will not be considered.
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Google map and directions