Since October 7 and the escalation of violence between Israel and Hamas, heightening tensions in southern Lebanon has led to the evacuation of 30,000 people. HI is deeply concerned about the risk of a humanitarian crisis in the region.
Preserving the dignity of the people affected by the conflict
When the hostilities in southern Lebanon intensified, Hussein and his wife Zahraa were forced to leave their home. They are now living in a school in Tyre that has been converted into a reception center. Since arriving, the couple’s daily life has been a series of challenges.
Hussein has limited mobility, which makes it difficult for him to use the toilet, for example. As a solution, Hussein has had to wear diapers, with consequences for his physical and psychological well-being.
HI, which sent teams to assess the needs of the displaced population, has provided Hussein with a toilet chair, which has greatly improved his ability to manage daily hygiene, restoring his dignity and making him more comfortable in the temporary accommodation.
HI action in southern Lebanon
In response to the emergency in the region, HI is assisting the displaced population by:
- Providing mobility aids (crutches, wheelchairs, etc.) for distribution by our partners
- Training the Lebanese Red Cross to take into account the needs of people with disabilities in the evacuation and management of displaced people
- Training organizations helping displaced people in the provision of psychological support
- Training physical therapists in emergency rehabilitation in partnership with the Lebanese Order of Physical Therapists and the International Committee of the Red Cross
- Running risk education and conflict preparedness sessions
HI would like to thank the Start Network and the Luxembourg Ministry of Foreign Affairs for their support of HI's activities in southern Lebanon.
The escalation between Israel and Hamas
HI is calling on all parties to the conflict to stop using explosive weapons in densely populated areas such as Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories. HI also supports #CeasefireNow, an open call for an immediate ceasefire in the Gaza Strip and Israel to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe and further loss of innocent life, and to ensure that humanitarian aid can be delivered quickly and safely.