Economic Inclusion Policy & Development Officer
Humanity & Inclusion works alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable groups taking actions and bearing witness in order to respond to their essential needs and to improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights. For 39 years, our teams and partners have demonstrated that solutions can be found, by working with the individuals, their families, and their communities, and by accounting for the human resources, expertise and equipment available locally. The organization proposes a comprehensive approach to improve the living conditions of people with disabilities as well as vulnerable persons.
At the moment, within the Basic Needs, Economic Recovery and Economic Inclusion (BANEREI) unit, out of a team of 7 members, there are 1.5 Economic Inclusion specialists supporting programs and projects across 42 countries.
As Economic Inclusion Policy and Development Officer, the ideal candidate would bring new skills and expertise to this expanding area and support the Economic Inclusion team with the development of new projects, leading specifically on larger scale project development. The position will help build new consortiums particularly in the North American context (in terms of donors and partners), and also contribute to the technical guidance of Humanity & inclusion programs on the subject of economic inclusion.
As a member of the BANEREI team, this position is under the management of the BANEREI Manager, based in Lyon, France, under the wider Social & Inclusion Division, whose director is in Lyon. The successful candidate will also report to the U.S. Executive Director of Humanity & Inclusion.
This position will provide technical support and engage in communication and advocacy in Economic Inclusion, respecting Humanity & Inclusion’s mandate, policies and technical positioning. The main aim is to develop and expand Humanity & Inclusion’s profile and impact through:
- Developing new business development opportunities and promoting HI’s Economic Inclusion technical positioning approaches, know-how and expertise in relevant mainstream networks with the objective to form alliances and consortia. Economic Inclusion is one of the two main pillars within the new Social & Inclusion technical strategy and as part of this strategy, the Economic Inclusion sector has developed “value propositions” which sets out how HI adds value (on Wage employment; entrepreneurship and graduation model). Part of the role is to help work on, and promote, these “value propositions” within the “go to market” aspects and to support on the development of a strong framework of action.
- Contributing to influencing donor and stakeholder policies including states, practices and budget priorities to improve Economic inclusion of vulnerable groups and particularly People with disabilities;
- Contributing to develop quality standards and support their implementation at the field level particularly in relation with the Economic Inclusion 3 value propositions.
In all the areas of responsibility below, you will work closely with the other members of the Economic Inclusion and BANEREI team, but will take a lead on the overall business development aspect. In this part, your main responsibilities will be:
- Expertise in Economic Inclusion
- Business Development and Technical Assistance opportunities
- Policy influence
- A Master’s Degree in Economics, International Economics, Business, Social Entrepreneurship, International Development or a related field. Strong candidates with an undergraduate degree in similar topical areas will also be considered.
- Experience working on topics related to disability rights and inclusion, especially as it intersects with employment and poverty alleviation
- Working collaboratively with other services (e.g. social , protection, health, etc…)
- Proven experience of working in low/middle income country contexts.
- Strong understanding and experience of grant and business development proposal processes
- Strong background experience in networking, building partnerships and policy development in the field of economy
- Strong experience in communicating key ideas to a wide audience
- Experience providing technical support and oversight to economic inclusion programs
- Experience in developing technical materials including tools, guidance, and training materials
- Excellent written and oral communications and networking skills, capacity to transfer skills and train or coach others
- Fluent in English and basic knowledge in French. Other languages would be an asset.
All applicants must indicate that they have read and understood Humanity & Inclusion's safeguarding policies:
- Child Protection
- Protection against Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment
- Anti-Fraud, Bribery, and Corruption
Location: Silver Spring, MD*
Type of employment: Open-ended contract
Starting date: ASAP
Deadline to apply: October 24, 2021
People with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply!
Submit your CV and cover letter here.
*To be based in the U.S., you must be a U.S. citizen, or be in possession of relevant permissions to work in the United States. Applicants without existing work permission in the United States should not apply.
Note: Once a job offer is extended to a candidate, that offer will be contingent on the candidate passing a background investigation.
Humanity & Inclusion is happy to meet any reasonable accommodations that an applicant requires.
To request such reasonable accommodations at any point in the recruitment process, please contact: Diana Hromockyj by email at [email protected] or phone at (301) 891-2138. All self-disclosure is voluntary and personal information is strictly confidential.