Humanity & Inclusion in Tunisia
Humanity & Inclusion launched its operations in Tunisia in 1992, promoting the social inclusion of the most vulnerable people.
The government faces many social and economic challenges, high public expectations, strikes and social movements, security threats within its territory and the thorny problem of corruption.
Today, the future role of civil society groups as representatives and operators in development efforts is firmly on the agenda.
However, the voices of the most marginalized populations, particularly people with disabilities, are still at risk of being ignored in the transition towards democracy.
Since 2011, Humanity & Inclusion has been working to ensure the rights of people with disabilities are taken into account in the democratic transition phase. Currently in Tunisia, Humanity & Inclusion employs a team of 20 staff members who continue to carry out the organization’s mission, which is to:
- Promote social and economic inclusion
- Increase the participation of women in local government decision making
Social and Economic Inclusion
Humanity & Inclusion promotes the quality of life, self-reliance, and social inclusion of people with disabilities by:
- Coordinating collaboration between disability operators and beneficiaries to develop personalized social support services
- Strengthening participation of people with disabilities in local development and awareness efforts
Humanity & Inclusion also provides personalized support for people with disabilities who are seeking employment and helps companies integrate workers with disabilities.
Gender & Disability
Humanity & Inclusion works to strengthen & support the involvement of women, especially women with disabilities, in local governance.
Our team works to achieve two objectives:
- Get Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) and local authorities to consult each other
- Improve the involvement of women in local governance through the engagement of activists, women leaders with multi-actor consultative bodies in the government of Greater Tunis, Gafsa and Jendouba.
Our Past Work
Our team has been in Tunisia for more than 27 years, encouraging a culture of dignity, access, and inclusion for ALL people with disabilities and who are vulnerable. Over time, we have evolved our work to meet the dynamic needs of the communities where we serve.
Read on to learn more about our past work in Tunisia and consider investing in our future.
Humanity & Inclusion raises awareness among the parents of children with disabilities, local stakeholders, and the media of the right to education and trains teachers in inclusive practices and personalized social support methods.
Humanity & Inclusion partnered with organizations in the disability field to build the capacity of local organizations for people with disabilities to advocate for inclusive public policies aimed at advancing the rights of people with disabilities.